Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Finally back on track - NESBA at Barber - October 2008





After a long summer layoff I made it back to the track finally for a NESBA event at Barber Motorsports Park. After several years of doing 10 or more track days this was only my second one for 2008 and it felt great to be back out there.



We setup our pits in our usual favorite location, the bottom of the hill just to the right. Michelle loves this spot because it is quiet and close to the tower so easy access to everything.




Barber was lovely as ever with lots of flowers still blooming and just a hint of fall color. I'm sure it will be even better for the November event in a few weeks.

I had not ridden my bike since I did cornerworking for the California Superbike School back in July and to my surprise there seemed to be something in the fuel or carburetors that kept the bike from running smoothly. I finally got it to start but there was no low speed idle, I had to keep the revs up or it would stall. I filled it with fresh gas and let it run a long time and as the day went by it got more and more normal so my riding wasn't entirely ruined but it sure made me a bit nervous.

I managed to make a new friend this weekend and that pleased me. Pitted next to us was a really nice guy named Brian from southern Michigan. Brian was riding in intermediate on a big Kawasaki. He stayed with us for lunch and we had a good chat about riding and Michigan football.

It was also good to see some old friends like Joel from Nashville and Jeff (UAJEFF on the boards)from here in Birmingham. Also, my friend Gill Cutchen was there to do some control riding and get some laps on his new Triumph racebike.



There was a large group of riders there from Mississippi that were pitted across the paddock from us. I didn't get to meet any of them but they sure seemed to have a good time.




I also met a nice retired couple from Florida who were there with some really "old school" race bikes. As usual, half the fun of a track day is people watching.




Here are a few more miscellaneous pictures taken during the event.





Can't wait till November.

Jim

No comments: