Tuesday, June 09, 2009

I am so happy for Larry Pegram

Larry Pegram won superbike race two at Road America this past weekend. Think about that for a minute......Larry Pegram beat Mat Mladin straight up in a fair fight. I can't wait to see this race on the delayed coverage.

I do not know Larry personally but I have followed his racing for some time now. I first met Pegram, sort of, at Barber a few years ago. He was sitting in a golf cart talking to Kevin Schwantz.

I approached and Kevin immediately knew I was going to ask for an autograph, he even had a sharpie out and ready. I handed my cap to the world champion and asked politely would he please sign it. After he handed it back to me I looked at Larry and also said politely, "Larry could you please sign it too?". He smiled and signed but the look on his face said it all. He could barely believe that I even recognized him. He seems that genuinely humble and even grateful.

The next time I saw Larry in person was also at Barber this year but under remarkably different circumstances. There was a tornado warning at the track and everyone was searching for cover. Michelle and I decided to hide out in the second level restrooms which seemed at the time to be the most sturdy building available.

As the rain and lightning got heavier and the tornado got closer more and more people crowded into that building. About this time I noticed Larry, his father, wife and daughter were all there as well. In spite of the threat of weather it seemed a happy family moment for him. I couldn't help thinking how satisfying this season must be for him. He has his own team, he's competative again and he has his family with him.

Little did he or any of us know that in just a few short weeks from then he would be standing atop the superbike podium at Elkhart Lake.

Good on you Larry. Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.

Jim

No comments: